Mintel is the world’s leading market intelligence agency. To maintain our position we are investing in a brand new project to build a modern data processing and analytics platform, using cutting edge cloud, big data and data visualization technologies. Mintel has an exceptional opportunity for a talented individual to join our team in Chicago as a Front End Developer.
Initially we’re bringing together a diverse range of marketing data sets in a single client-facing tool, but in future this platform will open up new and exciting business opportunities for other areas in the Market Intelligence and Consumer Research space.
This is not a side project - it’s the most important technology investment we are making this year. Not only does this project have great exposure within the company, you’ll be in on the ground floor of the most influential change to our architecture since we stopped shipping CD-ROMs fifteen years ago.
The successful candidate will help define the technologies, architectural approach and development processes of the team as we analyze ever-larger data sets, bring machine learning to bear on our processes, and continue the process of moving our infrastructure to the cloud.
- Work with unique real-world data sets.
- Learn from industry-leading expert consultants.
- No legacy code - develop with cutting edge, best in class tools.
- Enormous potential for influence and growth both inside and outside of the IT team.
- A culture that fosters entrepreneurial spirit.
- Collaborate with your team in an agile open workspace, or retreat to one of our quiet areas when you need to focus on individual tasks. Work remotely as necessary.
- Generous health insurance, vacation time, and 401k matching.
- Access to recreational activities such as ping-pong, shuffleboard, on-site gym, intramural sports teams and regular social events.
- Collaborate with consultants and stakeholders to define, design and build the data visualization tools for Mintel’s new project.
- Work with your peers to shape the technology strategy for the project.
- Stay up to date with industry best practices and guide their implementation by your team.
- Take ownership of our code and become a steward of its architecture and quality.
- Take part in mentoring and career development activities with our junior team members.
- Demo software to stakeholders and record their feedback.
- Participate in testing and other quality assurance activities.
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities.
Experience and Skills
- STEM degree or equivalent experience coupled with a proven ability to solve problems with code.
- 3+ years of experience of software development.
- Deep experience of D3.js or comparable web data visualization technologies.
- Have built custom visualizations by extending or adding to existing frameworks.
- Our technology stack includes AWS, Python, Hadoop, Spark, Couchbase, scikit-learn and D3. Our project covers big data processing, machine learning, data visualization and cloud platforms. Prior exposure to these is beneficial.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technology platforms.
- Desire to work in a highly collaborative environment and participate fully in agile software development processes.
- Track record of mentoring, knowledge sharing or developer advocacy.
- Aptitude for identifying and solving problems, both technical and organizational.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race/Color/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Vets