Why join Mintel? We are the world's leading market intelligence agency and technology underpins our success. We help our clients understand consumers and consumer markets and aspire to provide the market intelligence behind every great business decision. Our technology supports research, analysis, and operations work of Mintel staff and help us deliver data, insight and opinion in a compelling way to our clients across the globe.
We’re looking for Software Developers with a passion for working with frontend technologies. Our teams are adding functionality across several products, improving the tools our researchers and analysts use every day and building client delivery sites that showcase our research findings and data via compelling visualisations and intuitive interfaces. If your skills and experience will help us to deliver these improvements effectively, we want to talk to you!
We employ over 50 developers across our offices in Chicago, London, and Shanghai. Projects cater for clients around the world so there is a lot of collaboration with teams in other countries. As with a startup, our environment is dynamic and you will encounter many opportunities to take on new responsibilities and work on a wide range of tasks, whilst still enjoying the stability of working for a company that has been established for more than 40 years.
We challenge people but don’t leave them to work alone. We believe that having a team of supportive colleagues is key, and that developing and maintaining effective communication links with colleagues and clients is a critical to delivering software with consistently high quality. We also believe in giving developers the support to grow in their own personal development, whether they wish to become a technical expert, take on leadership responsibilities or move into more business-aligned roles later in their career.
Primary Technologies Used:
- Web frontend technologies: React.js, Backbone.js, Bootstrap, SCSS, Selenium, webpack
- Web backend frameworks: Django, Alfresco
- Databases: MariaDB/MySQL, Postgres
- Search technologies: Solr, ElasticSearch
- Servers: Mixture of our own hosted network and cloud services on AWS
- Exposure to our full software stack, using primarily Open-Source software.
- Enhance your development capabilities in this broad role, looking after development, system configuration and testing.
- Influence the direction of your team through continuous improvement activities.
- Join a diverse, high-functioning agile team who enjoy great relationships with their Product Owner and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with your team in an agile open workspace, or retreat to one of our quiet areas when you need to focus on individual tasks.
- Intensive pairing activities to get you up to speed quickly with our technology stack.
- Opportunities to collaborate and work with teams based in Chicago and Shanghai.
- Participate in team planning activities with the Product Owner and other stakeholders.
- Develop features for our client-facing website and data entry software.
- Demo software to internal stakeholders and record their feedback.
- Participate in testing and other quality assurance activities.
- Manage the deployment of new features to beta and live environments.
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities.
- An excellent degree result from a good university.
- Total passion for writing code
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technology platforms.
- Some experience in a few of the following frontend frameworks and technologies: React.js, Backbone.js, Angular, SCSS, Node.js, Selenium
- Some experience in following programming languages and backend technologies would be beneficial: Python, Django, C++, C# and VB.NET, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Solr
- Excellent communication skills, and a desire to work in a highly collaborative environment and participate fully in agile software development processes.
- Aptitude for identifying and solving problems, both technical and organisational.
- Adept at discussing implementation details and technical capabilities with development colleagues as well as making these understood to colleagues outside the IT department.