Mintel is a global market intelligence company, headquartered in London, UK. We work with the world’s most renowned consumer packaged goods companies and their suppliers and professional services agencies.
Mintel is also a leader in providing market intelligence and consumer insights in North Asia, and building on the success of Mintel’s China reports business, the company is also looking to expand into other markets in Asia in the next few years, notably Japan.
We are looking for an experienced and ambitious research manager to help establish and build a talented analyst team in Japan and also to become part of the research leadership team in Asia.
The Head of Reports Japan is responsible for establishing Mintel’s report analyst team in Japan, building a new team from scratch, and will also work closely with commercial stakeholders and clients to ensure that we continue to deliver highly insightful and relevant reports and content. The role is based out of Tokyo and reports in to the Head of Reports, North APAC – based in Shanghai.
- Recruit, manage and develop the Japan Reports team and implement team structure to cope with growing demand
- Provide strategic leadership to the development of the Mintel Japan consumer reports team
- Develop strong client relationships and actively seek feedback from clients and colleagues to ensure that our Japanese insights meet and exceed client requirements.
- Provide strategic and tactical leadership for the team, ensuring that all our content is insightful, aligns with Mintel’s strategic content plan, is of a high quality and is delivered on time.
- Work with our Account management teams to manage client requests to agree and deliver on service plan commitments, ensuring that we effectively use all our resources to respond to client requests.
- Help promote interaction between the newly established Japan Reports team, and other content teams, both locally and globally.
- At least eight years of knowledge and experience gained from working in the field of consumer research
- Ideally at least four years management experience of leading and motivating a team
- Ability to manage and encourage teams to hit the highest standards
- Experience of building new teams would be preferred, along with good coaching & mentoring skills to help bring the new team on
- A good understanding of the Japanese consumer
- Good process skills – ability to plan realistic schedules and manage teams team to hit key deadlines
- Ability to QC teams reports and provide constructive critical feedback
- Ability to think creatively when analyzing and presenting data
- Ability to interact and engage with clients and media
- Experience collaborating and communicating with cross-functional teams and internal stakeholders
- Ability to travel – it is likely an induction period of around 4-6 weeks in either Chicago or London will be required
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Passion for, and knowledge of consumer markets in Japan (by passion we mean the sensitivity to what’s happening in the market through daily observation of consumers and markets, and the patience to study deep into a subject)
- Experience in the consumer research industry (experience of designing or reviewing a questionnaire, understanding sampling methodology, confidence interval, consumer segmentation)
- International experience living, working or studying outside of Japan will be an advantage
- Business acumen, strong analytical skills and be comfortable working with, interpreting and analysing data
- Good organizational and planning skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong willingness to communicate and work with different departments, with good communication and team working skills
- Japanese and English to business level
- Client side experience in research and insights would be an additional benefit
- University degree