Mintel is a global market intelligence company, headquartered in London, UK. We work with the world’s most renowned consumer packaged goods companies and their suppliers. With huge demands from our Japanese clients regarding to consumer market occurs, we now set up a brand new team specific for producing Japan Reports, which provide in-depth market analysis and consumer trends.
Location of the role: Mintel Japan Inc / Kyobashi, Tokyo, Japan
Work from home
- Write and publish 2-3 reports within 6 months, covering at least one Consumer Package Goods category report (either Beauty or Food & Drink) and one Lifestyle report, identifying the key issues and opportunities facing manufacturers, suppliers and retailers
- Gather primary and secondary data relevant to each market, and build a picture of the issues and size of the market through research, company data and market data
- Work with Global Research Directors & Market Sizing team to develop accurate market, company and segmentation data
- Build relationships with industry contacts to understand the key issues influencing consumers, innovation and company strategy
- Work with the consumer research manager to identify most relevant issues to explore in consumer research
- Analyse and interpret all consumer, market and company data
- Share insight with clients & potential clients by telephone and in face to face meetings
- Meet tight publication deadlines
Most of the day-to-day work will involve business writing as the analyst is responsible for the full report from defining the report scope, identifying key issues, designing consumer research, conducting trade interviews, analysing data through to producing the final report.
That being said, communication with colleagues, external clients (including interviews and presentations) and media (dealing with enquiries upon training) is also an essential part of this role.
- At least 5 years knowledge and experience gained from working in or with any of the industry sector: food and drink, or beauty and personal care.
Experience in food and drink and beauty and personal care will be looked upon favorably, so will be any experience at the client-side
- Ability to analyse multiple sets of data and write concise, insightful analysis
- Ability to think creatively when analyzing and presenting data
- Ability to interact and engage with clients
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Passion for, and knowledge of consumer markets in Japan (by passion we mean the sensitivity to what’s happening in the market through daily observation of consumers and markets, and the patience to study deep into a subject)
- Experience in the consumer research industry (experience of designing or reviewing a questionnaire, understanding sampling methodology, confidence interval, consumer segmentation)
- Business acumen, strong analytical skills and be comfortable working with, interpreting and analysing data
- Good organizational and planning skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong willingness to communicate and work with different departments, with good communication and teamworking skills
- Written Japanese to business level and a reasonable level of spoken English.
(any written English capability will be a huge bonus, but not a requirement for this recruitment))
- Good University degree
What we are looking for is a well-presented professional with critical thinking. By critical thinking we mean the ability to come up with an opinion by one-self (instead of repeating what others have been talking about), and this opinion is well argued with the support of relevant data/observation of the market.
The interview process
First CV screenings need to be undertaken by HR. (or Japan team if presented in Japanese)
Shortlisted candidates will need to have a screening interview with HR (in English), and then interviews via webex with Japan Reports manager / VP Content Asia.
We will then ask for a written test (in English or Japanese) and a final interview by the local content management team, the Global Head of Research and the Japan commercial team. (Including a short discussion in English based on the written test).
Interviews will need to take place in both English and Japanese.