Mintel is a global market intelligence company, headquartered in London, UK. We work with the world’s most renowned consumer packaged goods companies and their suppliers. Building on its success, Mintel has decided to expand the China report team responsible for producing the only industry report in China that combines market analysis and consumer research.
Established in 2012, the China report team currently has ten analysts/senior analysts, working in Shanghai. We are looking for an ambitious senior research analyst to join a growing team. This opportunity will offer you the chance to develop your own expertise on the Chinese FMCG sectors, whilst giving you the opportunity to interact and influence of the world’s largest consumer brands, marketing and advertising agencies.
- Write and publish 8-10 reports a year covering a variety of consumer markets identifying the key issues facing manufacturers, suppliers and retailers
- Gather primary and secondary data relevant to each market, and build a picture of the size of the market through research, company data and market data
- Work with Research Directors to develop accurate market, company and segmentation data
- Build relationships with industry contacts to understand the key issues influencing consumers, innovation and company strategy
- Work with the consumer research manager to identify most relevant issues to explore in consumer research
- Analyse and interpret all consumer, market and company data
- Share insight with clients & potential clients by telephone and in face to face meetings
- Meet tight publication deadlines
Most of the day-to-day work will involve business writing as the analyst is responsible for the full report from defining the report scope, identifying key issues, designing consumer research, conducting trade interviews, analysing data through to producing the final report.
That being said, communication with colleagues, external clients (including interviews and presentations) and media (dealing with enquiries upon training) is also an essential part of this role.
- At least 3 years knowledge and experience gained from working in or with any of the industry sector: Food and Drink; Food Service; Beauty and personal care; Baby products or Household care will be a big plus.
- Any experience at the client-side (agency or brand) will be looked upon favorably.
- Ability to analyse multiple sets of data and write concise, insightful analysis
- Ability to think creatively when analysing and presenting data
- Ability to interact and engage with clients
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Passion for, and knowledge of consumer markets (by passion we mean the sensitivity to what’s happening in the market through daily observation of consumers and markets, and the patience to study deep into a subject)
- Experience in the consumer research industry (experience of designing or reviewing a questionnaire, understanding sampling methodology, confidence interval, consumer segmentation)
- Business acumen, strong analytical skills and be comfortable working with, interpreting and analysing data
- Good organizational and planning skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong willingness to communicate and work with different departments, with good communication and teamworking skills
- Mandarin and English to business level
- Good University degree
What we are looking for is a well-presented professional with critical thinking. By critical thinking we mean the ability to come up with an opinion by one-self (instead of repeating what others have been talking about), and this opinion is well argued with the support of relevant data/observation of the market.
The interview process
The candidate with a qualified CV will be firstly interviewed by HR and the line manager in Shanghai. This will then be followed by a written test (in English) and a final interview by the global Head of Research (including a short presentation based on the written test). Interviews will take place in both English and Chinese.