The Associate Director – Insights and Consultancy, Japan is part of the North Asia Insights | Consulting team and whose main responsibility is in supporting the Mintel Country Manager and Account Management Team in client engagement for our subscription business in Japan, through the interpretation of Mintel’s data and delivering actionable insights that can be applied to the client business. This person should be consultative in nature, identifying opportunities to build growth of Mintel’s custom solution in Japan and thereby cementing Mintel’s relationship as a business solutions partner to the client.
Act as an ‘Insights’ representative for Mintel, the Associate Director – Insights and Consultancy, Japan will demonstrate deep knowledge of Mintel products and their application, work with the Account Team to develop and deliver the Client Service program to increase Mintel’s clients ROI for short term (2 years+) and mid/long term (3 years+) and ensure we achieve our commercial objectives.
- Work with the Account Team in Japan to understand the client questions and take a lead role to curate content to answer the questions (with inputs from wider North Asia Insights Team and Mintel Research Community)
- Take a lead role in creating contents for Macro Consumer/Innovation Trends, including (but not restricted to) localization of Global Trend Presentations to ensure relevance to Japanese clients, Japan local market trends and representing Mintel in public speaking Events
- Proactively provide ideas to improve Mintel’s Client Service/Insights Program, Custom/Consultancy offering and build sustainability to Mintel Japanese business
- Proactivelylook for consultancy opportunities within our clients aiming to identify client questions suitable for consultancy/custom solutions then on work scoping those out and design correspondent solutions jointly in consultation with the North Asia Insights/Consultancy Team.
- Dealing, completing and delivery of consultancy & custom solutions utilizing specific local market knowledge aiming to address each clients’ business questions’
Experience and Personality Traits:
- The incumbent is expected to have a proficient knowledge of the innovation process and the role market research plays in the fast moving consumer goods sector
- Demonstrates capability of interpreting and interrogating data, crafting a compelling story based on data and turning insights into actionable recommendations
- Previous experience of working with complex data sets including econometrics, statistics, consumer surveys and syndicated sales data
- Exemplary organisation skills; resilient to working under pressure and delivering against frequent and tight deadlines
- Capable of working independently and balancing a demanding workload
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and empowered to push ADs to delve deeper into their accounts to uncover need and opportunity
- Confident presenter, able to co-present report findings and provide valuable input in discussions
- Good communication skills, able to communicate with effectively wider insights/consultancy team in APAC and Mintel’s global research community and able to translate English into Japanese for presentation decks, offering interpretation in on-site presentations when English speakers come to Japan, whenever necessary
- Filled with curiosity and hunger to learn new things
- Able to make constructive suggestions on how Mintel’s business process and client service and proposition can be improved, leveraging previous working experience and industry knowledge and respecting Mintel’s corporate culture and business model.
- University Degree
- Minimum 5 years of market research/insights/consultancy experience in the FMCG sector, preferable in marketing research, marketing or consulting
- Native Speaker of Japanese, Proficient in English (confident to present in English)
- Willingness to travel, 20% to 30% expected